General Enquiries & Emergencies
(07) 3810 6666

TTY Phone
133 677 then ask for
07 3810 6666

Accessibility Options: A A Adjust contrast


Frequently Asked Questions


All proposed new swimming pools (including fencing) require formal building approval prior to installation. When planning a new swimming pool, consideration should be given to the following issues: pool siting, location of fences and gates, location of equipment, effect of adjoining buildings, trees etc., access for construction and maintenance, site drainage, landscaping and current water restrictions. The first step in obtaining approval is to prepare plans and specifications of the pool and pool fencing. Specifications and application forms for building approval are available from Council's Planning and Development Department, First Floor, 50 South Street, Ipswich.

Dogs And Cats

Council requires all dogs and cats over the age of three months to be registered. Dog and cat registrations are levied each year and run from 1st July to 30th June. Discounts are available for a variety of pensions. A reduction in the levy is also available for desexed dogs but proof must be shown that the dog has been desexed. Stray dogs and cats collected within the city are taken to the Hooper Street Pound. A fee is charged for the release of these animals. Enquiries should be made to the Pound on 07 3810 6666.


Sporting Assistance:

A number of grants and sponsorship opportunities are available to assist sporting clubs and organisations improve their athletes, facilities, and program development. Application forms are available by contacting (07) 3810 6666.

Cultural Bursaries:

Cultural bursaries are available for a wide range of activities including assistance for young performers to attend workshops, receive specialist training, or generally assist with skill development programs. There are many more programs available. For further information on cultural bursaries visit the Arts, Social Development and Community Engagement Department located in the Humanities Building at 56 South Street, Ipswich or contact (07) 3810 6666.

Neighbour Issues

Building a new fence, repairing an existing fence, trees and their overhanging branches, barking dogs, noise complaints, speeding vehicles.

Many of these issues could be sorted out if people just spoke to their neighbours - other matters require reporting to Police, Environmental Protection Agency and other agencies.

Dispute resolution/mediation services are also available through the Justice and Attorney-General's Department on 13 74 68.