If one of your animals has been lost or injured, or you have found a lost or injured animal, quick action is key to finding your animal or reuniting an animal you have found with its owner.
If your animal has been lost, take the appropriate actions below as soon as possible:
- Contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 to record your animal on Council's Lost, Found and Impounded Register. The register is updated daily and includes details of all animals which have been notified to Council as being lost, found or impounded.
- Council will search the register to determine if your animal has been found or presented to the Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre and you should also check directly with the pound on a daily basis..
- If you have reported your animal lost and it has been found, don't forget to contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 to remove your animal's details from the register.
- Owners of lost animals can also contact the RSPCA and surrounding Councils to locate their pet and view the RSPCA's Impounded Animals Register.
- Consider placing advertisements in local newspapers and on social media.
- For more information on lost, found and impounded animals see the factsheet under More Information below.
If you have found an animal, take the appropriate actions below as soon as possible:
- Contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 to provider details and address and register the animal on the Lost, Found and Impounded register.
- If the animal has been reported as missing, Council will liaise with the owner and the finder to reunite the animal with its owner.
- If you have reported your animal as lost and it has been found, don't forget to contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 to remove your animal's details from the register.
- If your animal is located in the Ipswich pound or you suspect your animal is housed at the pound, it is recommended you visit the Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre to speak directly to the staff.
- In most cases, the owner will be charged fees prior to the release of the animal from the pound.
- If the owner is unable to visit the pound and would like their representative to collect the animal on their behalf, a letter of authority or similar authorisation by the owner is necessary to release the animal.
Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre
- Opening hours are Monday to Friday from 8.30 am - 5.00 pm (closed weekends and public holidays).
- If you have lost your animal over the weekend, contact Council after hours on (07) 3810 6666.
- Cats and dogs are held at the pound for three working days, while livestock is held for seven working days.
- The Pound and Animal Management Centre is located at 6 Hooper Street, West Ipswich.
View Larger Map
Animal trap hire
- Council provides dog and cat cage traps to residents for the sole purpose to assist the impounding of stray animals on private property.
- Traps are available free-of-charge for use on private property for a period of up to 7 working days.
- Traps can be collected from the Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre - a trailer or Ute will be required to transport the dog cage.
- To hire, you must produce a current driver's licence displaying an Ipswich address.
- A Council animal management officer will provide instruction for the use of the trap.
- Contact the Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre on (07) 3810 6666.
- If you encounter an injured animal (other than wildlife), it is recommended you contact the RSPCA on (07) 3426 9955 or take it to a veterinarian.
- If the animal is deceased contact Ipswich Waste on (07) 3810 6666 for collection.
If you encounter injured wildlife in Ipswich, please contact the following injured wildlife specialists:
- Ipswich Koala Protection Society (rescue all wildlife but specialise in koalas): Ruth (07) 5464 6274 or 0419 760 127 (24-hours)
- RSPCA QLD: (07) 3426 9999
- National Parks and Wildlife: 1300 130 372
- If the injured wildlife is likely to cause a traffic hazard or other emergency situation (such as an injured kangaroo on a busy road), please contact the police.
Lost, Found and Impounded Animals Factsheet
Ipswich City Council Pound and Animal Management Centre
RSPCA Impounded Animals Register
Council's Fees and Charges Register