Haigslea Lawn Cemetery has historical significance, comprising of both monumental and lawn burial areas, it also has a garden for memorial of cremated remains.
Also known as "Walloon Scrub Cemetery", "Kircheim Cemetery", "Kirchheiner Cemetery" and "Walloon Cemetery", the land now known as Haigslea Cemetery was donated to the adjoining Lutheran Church by Mr W H Loose. The cemetery remained under the control of the Lutheran Church until a Cemetery Trust was formed in 1913.
The Queensland Government Gazette announced an "Order in Council on the 9th day of May, 1918" that set aside land as a permanent reserve for a cemetery. "Kirchheiner" Cemetery as it was then known also became known as "Haigslea Cemetery" and was placed 'under control of Johann Koch, John Henry Claus, Ernest Schubel, Harry Heiner and George Henry Siemon'. Burials in the "Kirchheiner" Cemetery occurred during the period from September 1916 to August 1959.
In 1959 the Moreton Shire Council was appointed as trustee and at the Health and Community Services meeting held on the 25th September 1990, the cemetery was renamed "Haigslea Lawn Cemetery".
Haigslea Lawn Cemetery
Haigslea Cemetery Road, Haigslea
Contact: (07) 5464 3145
There are a number of products and services available through Ipswich Cemeteries on (07) 5464 3145. These are outlined with pricing information on the following pages: