What is HAPI Ipswich?
The HAPI Ipswich project aims to increase participation in physical activity and improve healthy eating amongst people not working full-time in Ipswich.
Participants are given the opportunity, at no cost, to develop knowledge of healthy eating habits and increase participation in physical activity with their family and friends. Those not eligible are able to participate in certain programs at a cost.
The HAPI Ipswich project is an Ipswich City Council initiative working in conjunction with 4 major partners;
How did HAPI Ipswich come about?
Ipswich City Council was awarded funding from the Federal Government's National Partnersip Agreement on Preventative Health "The Healthy Communities Initiative".
The City of Ipswich consists of a higher than average proportion of disadvantaged groups at risk of developing chronic disease including obesity. The funding has enabled Council to deliver the "Healthy Active People in Ipswich" (HAPI Ipswich) Project, specifically aimed at those disadvantaged groups.
The HAPI Ipswich Project will build on existing programs and allow a framework to be established for new programs to ensure that when they are established they are sustainable.
Is HAPI Ipswich for me?
Am I Eligible?
Does your work status fall into any of the following categories?
- Recently or long term unemployed
- Part-time or casual employee
- Home duties
- Older Australian (Retirees or Pensioners)
If your answer is yes, you are over 18 years of age and you live within Ipswich City Council, then you are eligible for the HAPI Ipswich Project!
If you are unsure whether you are eligible, please contact the HAPI Ipswich Team - contact details below.
If you are not eligible, you are still able to attend certain sessions at a cost.
What is in it for me?
- A healthier lifestyle and the obvious health benefits related to that
- The chance to try various activities at no cost
- A range of incentives from council at attendance milestones. This may include but is not limited to: Water bottle, backpacks, cook books and more.
If you meet the eligibility criteria as described in "Am I Eligible" above, apply now:
When your application is processed and you are successful in joining the HAPI Ipswich Project, you will receive a Passport. Using this Passport you will be able to:
- Access vouchers that will enable you to attend classes at no expense to yourself
- Record your thoughts about the session you attended to assist you in completeing evaluation forms in the future
- Record the type of session you attended i.e. whether it was Zumba or Walking, etc.
If interested in HAPI Ipswich organisations can Apply here.
If you wish to provide your feedback, please click here.
The HAPI Ipswich Project
Ipswich City Council
P.O. Box 191
Ipswich, QLD 4305
Phone: (07) 3810 6666
To view PDF files you can download Adobe Reader
for free. If you are unable to view this page owing to accessibility issues, please contact us