In its fourth year, the Ipswich Film Festival for Youth (IFFY) is a FREE themed short film festival for young people aged 7-25 years that promotes youth creativity through filmmaking.
With great cash and prizes on offer plus the ultimate bragging rights as an award-winning filmmaker, you’d be crazy not to enter!
Entries for IFFY 2017 close on Sunday, 28 January 2018 and the theme this year is GROW.
For hints and tips to help you along the way, sign up for IFFY Email Updates:
There are seven award categories with cash and prizes up for grabs.
So...like what you hear and interested in entering IFFY?
Don’t forget that it’s all about having a go, so here’s what you need to know:
Got your film all wrapped up and ready to roll? Simply hop onto FilmFreeway and get your entry in:
Make sure you have a read of the Terms and Conditions below and check out the information on music licensing for your film.
For any questions and submission support contact (07) 3810 6666, or email: IFFY@ipswich.qld.gov.au. And be sure to sign up to receive IFFY email updates.
Short listed entrants will be invited to the IFFY Red Carpet Event at Limelight Cinemas, Ipswich on Wednesday, 28 March 2018 where winners will be announced.
The finalists’ films will also be played on the big movie screen, just like the latest blockbusters!
Check out the tips we've shared previously and get to work on that film!
1. The promoter of the Ipswich Film Festival for Youth is Ipswich City Council, (“Council”) of 45 Roderick Street, Ipswich, Queensland (“the Promoter”).
2. The Ipswich Film Festival for Youth (“IFFY”) is open to all entrants, who must be aged between 7 and 25.
3. IFFY entrants must submit their film by the close date. The final date for all entries is Sunday, 28 January 2018 (“close date”). Films will only be accepted, if received, by the close date.
4. No entries will be accepted after the close date, this includes any re-edited versions of entries already provided prior to the close date.
5. Information on how to enter IFFY, forms part of the entry terms and conditions. All entries into IFFY are an acceptance of these terms and conditions.
6. Each entrant must create a short film of no more than 1 to 3 minutes in length and 10GB in size, abiding by the terms and conditions of entry. The entry must be in one of the following formats:
7. Each entrant must obtain consent from all participants in the short film (this includes actors, musicians and the filmmakers) as per online application process.
8. Each entrant must complete an online entry for their film. The Entry is evidence of the entrant’s consent to these terms and conditions.
9. Entries not made in accordance with these entry terms will be invalid and not considered.
10. Entrants agree, that by participating in IFFY, they authorise the Promoter to reproduce clips of selected films, for the purpose of advertising and promoting IFFY or other youth and film related events, run by Ipswich City Council. Being a not-for-profit film festival, the Promoter’s aim is to promote, and provide exposure to each entrant’s film, across the City of Ipswich.
11. Each entrant agrees that by participating in IFFY, they authorise Ipswich City Council to upload film clips to the Ipswich City Council website, Ipswich City Council Facebook, and Ipswich City Council YouTube pages/channel.
12. Each entrant agrees that by participating in IFFY, they authorise the Promoter to show their film or clips of their film, at the Ipswich Film Festival for Youth (IFFY) and screen selected movies on buildings in Ipswich; and undertake screenings in public places across Ipswich.
13. The decision of the promoter to accept or reject an entry is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
14. There is no limit to the number of entries per person - each entry must be submitted separately and a separate entry must be completed for each entry; group entries are acceptable.
15. Entries must be based on the theme – “GROW”.
16. Each entrant warrants in submitting a film, that it is their original work and does not violate or infringe (or reasonably be expected to violate or infringe) upon the legal rights of any other person, including material which is protected by copyright, trademark or other intellectual property rights.
17. Each Entrant warrants that:
a. the Entry is their own creation; and
b. the Entry is attributable only to the Entrant;
c. the Entry and the acts of the Promoter in relation to the Entry do not infringe upon the copyright, intellectual property rights, or Moral rights of any person;
d. they have the right to grant the rights under this clause and clauses 20 and 21 below.
18. Entrants agree that by entering the IFFY they authorise and grant the Promoter a non-exclusive and non-transferable licence to exercise intellectual property rights in the Entry (which may include, but is not necessarily limited to the use, reproduction and or exhibition of Entries) for the purpose of advertising and promoting the IFFY. Entries may be exhibited or reproduced in any medium. The Promoter is not required to pay a fee to exercise any intellectual property rights.
19. Entrants agree that the Promoter may modify the Entrant’s Entry as it sees fit to meet its requirements without further reference to the Entrant.
20. The Promoter will always attribute the creation of the work to the Entrant and will acknowledge any modification that may have been made to the Entry by the Promoter when exercising its rights under clause 18 of these Terms and Conditions.
21. Entries must not contain any material that is defamatory, obscene, indecent, harassing or threatening or is otherwise unlawful. The film must not contain material that would be likely to cause the film to be classified “M” or a higher classification. A copy of the Guidelines for the Classification of Films and Computer Games can be found at: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2008C00126
22. When developing your entry, please ensure you obtain all the relevant film permits. If you are filming in Ipswich, please ensure you comply with all relevant conditions, for filming in Ipswich, for more detail visit http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/business/film_ipswich/
23. By entering IFFY each entrant agrees to indemnify Ipswich City Council against all loss, damage, costs (including legal costs) or liability whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the entrant's breach of these terms and conditions (including the content requirements).
24. By submitting a film for entry, you the entrant, warrant that:
a. you own , or have the necessary licence to grant to the promoter an irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty free and worldwide right to use the film or part of the film, as described in conditions 11 and 14;
b. prior to entering the film in IFFY, you have gained the consent of all identifiable persons featured in the film;
c. the film is previously unpublished and is your own original work;
25. Any entry, that at the discretion of the Promoter, is deemed to be offensive, defamatory, indecent, obscene or discriminatory, will immediately be disqualified from entering IFFY. The Promoter’s decision in relation to any aspect of IFFY is final. No correspondence and discussion will be entered into.
26. The entrant (or where the entrant is a minor, then the parent or guardian) shall indemnify and release the Council in respect of any judgement, action, or liability for all loss, damage or injury to persons or property arising from the negligence of the entrant (or where the entrant is a minor, then the parent or guardian); or against any breach by the entrant of any third party intellectual property rights and against any act or omission by the entrant (or where the entry is a minor, their parent or guardian) commenced by a third party against the Promoter.
27. Words expressed in the singular in these terms and conditions also include the plural.
28. Finalists in each category will be screened at a Red Carpet Event at Limelight Cinemas on Wednesday, 28 March 2018. Winners will be announced at this event.
29. The Promoter’s decision to screen a film, or any film clip, at any event, is final.
30. All entrants will be placed into the following categories according to their age:
a) Primary School Entry
b) Secondary School Entry
c) Individual Entrant (ages 7-12)
d) Individual Entrant (ages 13-16)
e) Individual Entrant (ages 17-25)
31. The Promoter will shortlist all finalists. There will only be five (5) entrants shortlisted, in each category.
32. The aforementioned categories are broken down into:
a) Primary School
b) Secondary School
c) Individual Entrant (7-12)
d) Individual Entrant (13-17)
e) Individual Entrant (18-25)
f) Animation/Stop Motion
g) OVERALL Winner
33. The Promoter will appoint Judges, who will shortlist all finalists in each category, and select all eventual winners in each category. All decisions made in relation to winners of each category, will be final, and not subject to review.
Thinking about including music in your film? When making any film production you need to get rights to use some types of music. Here’s some music options available to you:
The quality of entries submitted in 2016 was extremely high, so we extend a huge congratulations to our fantastic finalists and winners for 2016. To view all of the 2016 entries, please visit our Vimeo channel.
With special thanks to our sponsors: