If one of your animals has been lost, or you have found a lost or injured animal, quick action is key to finding your animal or reuniting an animal with its owner.
Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre
The Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre is located in West Ipswich, and provides safe and secure lodging for impounded and surrendered animals.
Opening hours are Monday to Friday from 8.30 am - 5.00 pm and weekends from 10.00 am – 5.00 pm (closed Good Friday and Christmas Day public holidays).
If your pet has been lost:
- Visit the Animal Welfare League of Queensland’s Lost and Found Impounded Animals Register.
- Attend the Ipswich Animal Management Centre (details above) on a daily basis and speak directly to staff.
- Post details of your lost animal on social media.
- Contact surrounding Councils to locate your pet.
If your animal is impounded or you suspect your animal has been impounded:
- Visit the Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre at 6 Hooper Street, West Ipswich and speak directly to the staff.
- Opening hours are Monday to Friday from 8.30 am - 5.00 pm and weekends from 10.00 am – 5.00 pm (closed Good Friday and Christmas Day public holiday).
- If you have lost your animal over the weekend, attend the Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre to see if your animal has been impounded.
- Cats and dogs are held at the pound for three to five working days, livestock is held for seven working days. In most cases, you will be charged fees prior to the release of the animal from the pound - see Fees and Charges for more information.
- If you are unable to visit the pound and would like a representative to collect the animal on your behalf, provide them with a letter of authority or similar authorisation to release the animal.
Ipswich Adoption Centre
The Animal Welfare League Queensland (AWLQ) administers the Animal Management Centre on Council’s behalf and specialises in providing a high standard of care for animals. AWLQ’s promise is to never euthanise a healthy, sociable or treatable animal. Every effort is made to reunite lost pets with their owners and to rehome any unclaimed animals that are healthy and sociable.
To view the animals available for adoption, you can visit the Animal Welfare League Queensland’s (AWLQ) website.
If you encounter an injured animal:
- Contact the RSPCA on 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625) or take it to a veterinarian.
- If the animal is deceased contact Ipswich Waste on (07) 3810 6666 for collection.
- If you encounter injured wildlife in Ipswich, please contact the following injured wildlife specialists:
- Ipswich Koala Protection Society (rescue all wildlife but specialise in koalas): Ruth (07) 5464 6274 or 0419 760 127 (24-hours)
- RSPCA QLD: (07) 3426 9999
- National Parks and Wildlife: 1300 130 372
- If the injured wildlife is likely to cause a traffic hazard or other emergency situation (such as an injured kangaroo on a busy road), please contact the police.
Animal trap hire
Council provides dog and cat cage traps to residents to assist the impounding of stray animals on private property.
- Firstly contact Council on 07 3810 6666 to book a trap.
- Once booked, traps are available free-of-charge for use on private property for a period of up to 7 working days.
- Traps can be collected from the Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre - a trailer or ute will be required to transport the dog cage. To hire, you must produce a current driver's licence displaying an Ipswich address.
- A Council animal management officer will provide instruction for the use of the trap.
Lost and Found Impounded Animals Register
Fees and Charges Register