General Enquiries & Emergencies
(07) 3810 6666

TTY Phone
133 677 then ask for
07 3810 6666

Accessibility Options: A A Adjust contrast


Lost and Injured Animals

If one of your animals has been lost, or you have found a lost or injured animal, quick action is key to finding your animal or reuniting an animal with its owner.

Lost animals

If your pet has been lost:

  1. Review the RSPCA Impounded Register to see if your pet has been found. The register is updated daily and includes details of all animals which have been notified to Council as being lost, found or impounded
  2. If not on the register, contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 to record your animal on the RSPCA Impounded Register
  3. Check with the Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre (details below) on a daily basis.

If you have reported your animal lost and it has been found, don't forget to contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 to remove your animal's details from the register.

You can also:

  • Contact surrounding Councils to locate your pet
  • Place advertisements in local newspapers and on social media.

Found animals

If you have found an animal contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 to provide details and register the animal on the RSPCA Impounded Register.

If the animal has been reported as missing, Council will liaise with the owner and the finder to reunite the animal with its owner.

If you have reported your animal as lost and it has been found, contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 to remove your animal's details from the register.

Impounded animals

If your animal is located in the Ipswich pound or you suspect your animal is housed at the pound, visit the Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre to speak directly to the staff.

The Pound and Animal Management Centre is located at 6 Hooper Street, West Ipswich.

Opening hours are Monday to Friday from 8.30 am - 5.00 pm and weekends from 10.00 am – 5.00 pm (closed public holidays).

If you have lost your animal over the weekend, contact Council after hours on (07) 3810 6666.

Cats and dogs are held at the pound for three working days, livestock is held for seven working days.

In most cases, you will be charged fees prior to the release of the animal from the pound. See Fees and Charges for more information.

If you are unable to visit the pound and would like a representative to collect the animal on your behalf, provide them with a letter of authority or similar authorisation to release the animal.


Remember the best way to ensure your dog is returned is to register your dog. A registration tag tells everyone your dog is owned and loved and would be missed if it went astray.

If someone finds your dog they can call Council 24-hours-a-day to report the tag number. The call centre will then try to contact you to advise where and how to pick up your dog. Registration and microchipping ensures your dog has every chance possible to be reunited with you.


The laws that apply for lost and found animals include:

Injured animals

If you encounter an injured animal, contact the RSPCA on 1300 ANIMAL (1300 264 625) or take it to a veterinarian.

If the animal is deceased contact Ipswich Waste on (07) 3810 6666 for collection.

Injured wildlife

If you encounter injured wildlife in Ipswich, please contact the following injured wildlife specialists:

  • Ipswich Koala Protection Society  (rescue all wildlife but specialise in koalas): Ruth (07) 5464 6274 or 0419 760 127 (24-hours)
  • RSPCA QLD: (07) 3426 9999
  • National Parks and Wildlife: 1300 130 372

If the injured wildlife is likely to cause a traffic hazard or other emergency situation (such as an injured kangaroo on a busy road), please contact the police.

Animal trap hire

Council provides dog and cat cage traps to residents to assist the impounding of stray animals on private property.

Firstly contact Council on 07 3810 6666 to book a trap. Once booked, traps are available free-of-charge for use on private property for a period of up to 7 working days.

Traps can be collected from the Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre - a trailer or ute will be required to transport the dog cage. To hire, you must produce a current driver's licence displaying an Ipswich address.

A Council animal management officer will provide instruction for the use of the trap.

More information

RSPCA Impounded Animals Register
Council's Fees and Charges Register