Ipswich City Council encourages responsible pet ownership. Part of Council's vision is to 'plan for a future that includes cats and dogs as valued members of the community'. This means looking after pets by keeping the family together. For more information on local laws regarding pets or caring for your pets view the information under Resources below.
The Australian Veterinary Association Pets and People Education Program (AVA PetPEP) is about helping Australian students understand the important responsibility of looking after pets and how to be safe around animals. The program was first launched in Western Australia in 1990 and has been successfully operating in Queensland for over 15 years.
AVA PetPEP was developed by teachers and veterinarians to address:
- The increased incidence of dog attacks
- More reports of neglected and abandoned pets
- The increase in urban housing development and corresponding increase of animal-related complaints.
- This unique program brings animal education directly to children in their schools, with over 400 Queensland school visits per year. Teachers find the visits a great way to involve local community professionals in the school.
- Children involved in an AVA PetPEP School Visit benefit from a free hands-on, interactive and visual learning experience delivered by 'real-life' vets and other animal care professionals.
- School visits may involve veterinarians, vet nurses, local laws and/or animal management officers from local councils, RSPCA Queensland, Biosecurity Queensland, wildlife carers, dog trainers and representatives from guide and assistance dog organisations.The combined efforts of these presenters has the powerful potential to improve children’s understanding and appreciation of animals, their needs, and how to be safe around them.
- School visits are between 30 minutes and two hours in duration, with each school visit involving up to four presenters.
- Each presentation lasts 20 minutes and groups of students move through the presentations on a rotation basis.
- The program is free, aligned with the Australian curriculum and fully coordinated and resourced by our team.
Complete the booking form below and return it via email@example.com and for more information visit the Australian Veterinary Assocation website or phone (07) 3422 5305.
PetPEP Booking Enquiry Form
Local Laws for Pet Owners Factsheet (PDF, 1.8 MB)
RSPCA Australia Knowledgebase.
World of Animal Welfare website
Australian Veterinary Association website