People are sometimes unaware that their activities are causing a nuisance. Ipswich City Council encourages all residents and business operators to talk to their neighbours first about nuisance problems and only make a complaint if the issue remains unresolved.

Lodging a complaint

All complaints excepting for those dealing with overgrown or unsightly properties should be lodged via phone. Please note that no anonymous complaints will be accepted.

Online complaint lodgement:

Complaints regarding overgrown or unsightly properties can be lodged online via the MyIpswich portal (registration or log-in required).

Telephone complaint lodgement:

Contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 and have the following information ready:

  • Your name, address and phone number – this information is kept confidential
  • Nuisance description – the date, time and source address
  • Duration and frequency of the nuisance issue
  • Impact on you, your property and/or the environment
  • Vehicle description - make, model, colour, type (if applicable)

Actions by Council

Once a complaint has been lodged Council may, depending on the nature and severity of the complaint, take one or more of the following actions:

  • Despatch a Council officer to visit the premises.
  • Issue a warning
  • Issue the offender a compliance notice explaining how to remedy the offense
  • Issue a penalty infringement should the offender fail to comply with an issued notice
  • Conduct any works required and charge the ratepayer
  • Take any necessary further enforcement action (e.g. court proceedings)

Complaints outside Council jurisdiction

Any complaints regarding the below issues are not dealt with by Council and should be referred to the relevant body for resolution: