All animals under your care, livestock included, is your responsibility and must be confined to your property at all times - they are not allowed to roam, even in an emergency or disaster.

Do you have a 'what-if' plan for how to care for or evacuate your animals?

Don't wait until it's too late

Leaving early

  • Evacuate animals to a safer location well in advance and away from the emergency zone - for example, a boarding facility, foster carer, friends, family, neighbours.
  • Develop, document, communicate and practice at least two different evacuation routes and exits from your property with your animals. Include the location of water and food sources on your plan.
  • If you choose to leave animals secured but unattended, leave a note for the emergency service personnel who may need to enter your property.
  • Use a secure carrier/cage, leash, harness, float, or container with secure lid and air-holes to safely transport animals.
  • Ensure all vaccinations, stock registers, microchips and registrations remain current.
  • Have a current photo of each animal to assist with identification.

Stay and protect

  • Secure animals inside away from windows or under secure shelter within your property's boundaries so they do not escape.
  • Make provision for animals to seek refuge on higher ground.

Animals and evacuation centres

  • Register yourself and all other people, assistance and companion animals (if permitted) in your care upon arriving at a centre.
  • In most cases, trained assistance dogs will be allowed to stay in evacuation centres with their owners. Ensure you bring along your dog's emergency kit, including:
    • Identification tags
    • Proof of vaccination/registration
    • Medical records
    • Veterinarian's details
    • Secure carrier/cage for transport
    • Leash/harness
    • Food and water
    • Bedding and grooming equipment
    • Medication
    • Waste disposal bags.

After an emergency or disaster

  • Take care when releasing animals - they may be disorientated, stressed and/or aggressive.
  • Seek veterinary assistance immediately if your animals are injured.
  • Report roaming livestock to the Ipswich City Council if you do not know the owner on
    (07) 3810 6666.
  • Find out more information and contact details and services to support lost, injured or deceased animals.

More Information