General Enquiries & Emergencies
(07) 3810 6666

TTY Phone
133 677 then ask for
07 3810 6666

Accessibility Options: A A Adjust contrast


Permit and Licence Information

We appreciate that your event is important to you and would like to assist in making it a success. Events are also important to the Ipswich City Council, as they contribute to our local community by providing opportunities for economic growth and fostering community spirit.

Refer to the Things to consider when holding an event fact sheet for information that can assist in making your event as successful as possible.

Parks Search provides information on Council's parks and reserves and the facilities available within these areas.

Facilities such as playground equipment, strength and agility stations/exercise equipment, BBQs, natural areas, shelters and picnic areas are free for public use on a shared basis and cannot be reserved.

Other popular locations, such as sporting fields, halls, chapels and some open areas, have been set aside within parks and reserves specifically to cater for special activities and events and for commercial use. Any use within these selected locations requires a permit or licence.

If you are planning the following type of activity in a Council park, reserve or facility you will need to apply for a permit or licence:

  • private function with over 100 people
  • ceremony at a designated ceremony location (see Wedding and Ceremony Locations tab below)
  • organised sporting event
  • fitness group or personal training session
  • commercial event (including not-for-profit organisations)
  • community event (including not-for-profit organisations)

When submitting a permit or license application you will be required pay the prescribed fee – please refer to Council's Fees and Charges page for more information.

Activities may not be approved if they:

  • pose a potential risk or threat to public health and safety
  • cause nuisance or offence to other members of the community
  • conflict with Council policy or the management intent for the location.

For major events where over 2,000 participants are expected to attend, it is Council's recommendation that a pre-lodgement meeting be held – please refer to the Holding an Event in Ipswich page for further details.

Use Parks Search to help you find a location fitting the requirements of your event. Parks where a permit or license can be applied for contain an 'Application for Use' section on their page, where you will find detailed information on the location, venue, facilities and permit or license required.

To apply for your permit or license, please complete the online or printable PDF application form for assessment of your proposed event:

Application for Use of Council Parks and Facilities (Online)
Application for Use of Council Parks and Facilities   (PDF, 74.2 KB)

Submit the PDF application form via one of the below methods:

Postal: Ipswich City Council, PO Box 191, Ipswich Qld 4305
Telephone: (07) 3810-6666

If you are unsure of the best venue for your event, contact Council on or (07) 3810 6666 and our customer service staff will assist you to choose a suitable location.

Type of Event

Some examples of the types of events that can be held within a park or reserve are:

  • Ceremony: wedding, naming ceremony, christening, memorial, commitment ceremony, etc.
  • Community event: Christmas carols, festival, markets, etc.
  • Nature based recreation: adventure racing, mountain biking event, scientific research, etc.
  • Promotional activity: product launch, expo, entertaining clients, etc.
  • Social gathering: birthday, anniversary, engagement, family reunion, Christmas party, etc.
  • Sporting event: football game, cricket match, athletics carnival, etc.

Wedding and Ceremony Locations

There are a number of locations within parks throughout Ipswich that are popular for weddings or other special ceremonies. These locations can be searched for using the 'Search by Facilities' function on Parks Search - simply click on 'Usage' and then the 'Ceremony' option for a list of parks with ceremony locations.

Please see links to a number of parks popular for ceremonies below:

Note: Permits issued for Kholo Gardens - Zone 1 and Queens Park - Bush Chapel are limited to a period of 2.5 hours, this is due to the popularity of these locations for ceremonies.

Sporting Locations

There are a number of sporting locations within parks throughout Ipswich. These sporting locations can be searched for using the 'Search by Facilities' function on Parks Search - simply click on 'Usage' and then the 'Sporting' option for a list of parks with sporting locations. Organised sporting events are only to be held in sporting locations.

Sport and Recreation User's Manual

Council has developed the Sport and Recreation User's Manual (PDF, 1.5 MB) to assist users to manage, maintain and operate Council-owned sport and recreation facilities. Sport and recreation clubs are encouraged to read and refer to this document to determine the roles and responsibilities of both Council and the relevant organisation in regard to the use of Council facilities. If you have a specific question that cannot be answered from the information in the manual, please contact Council.

Fitness Groups and Personal Trainers

There are a number of parks designated suitable for fitness and training activities. These parks can be searched for using the ‘Search by Facilities’ function on Parks Search - simply click on ‘Usage’ and then the ‘Personal Training’ option for a list of parks designated for these activities. Fitness groups/personal trainers wishing to apply for a permit or licence to use one of Council's parks for the purpose of conducting fitness/personal training will be required to pay a non-refundable application fee at the time of submitting the application - please refer to Council's Fees and Charges page for more information. Evidence of public liability insurance (PLI) cover is to be submitted with the application (please see further information regarding PLI in the tab below).

Nature Based Recreation

Throughout the Ipswich City Council area there are many reserves and conservation estates open for the public to visit and enjoy.  Applications for use are only accepted for locations where zones have been created.

Permits are granted if you wish to:

  • hold an event,
  • carry out an activity as part of a formal group, or
  • your activity has the potential to adversely impact on the location

These reserves or conservations estates can be searched for using the ‘Search by Facilities’ function on Parks Search - simply click on ‘Usage’ and then the ‘Nature Based Recreation’ option for a list of locations designated for these activities

Please be aware that these areas are not closed off to the public when a permit is issued, however Council’s Natural Resources staff will manage the use to ensure that conflicting activities are not permitted in a zone at the same time.

Public Liability Insurance (PLI)

Public liability insurance (PLI) may be required for certain types of events or activities. The application form outlines instances where PLI is required, although Council may also request PLI if there is potential risk to public health and safety.

Where PLI is a requirement it must:

  • have a minimum cover of $20 million
  • cover the dates of the event
  • be held with an insurance company licensed to operate in Australia
  • be included in your application before your application will be assessed

Monuments and Memorials

There are a number of monuments and memorials within parks throughout Ipswich. These can be searched for using the 'Search by Facilities' function on Parks Search - simply click on 'Other' and then the 'Monument/Memorial' option for a list of parks containing monuments or memorials. Use of these areas is limited to activities consistent with the nature of the monument or memorial in question, e.g. ANZAC Day services, Remembrance Day services, memorial services for fallen soldiers, etc.

If you would like to apply to use a monument or memorial park location please complete and return the paper-based form below:

Application for Use Of Council Parks and Facilities (PDF, 74.2 KB)

Fees and Charges

Some events or locations may attract a permit or licence application and/or bond fee, e.g. use of a hall or in cases where a key is required for access, etc. If your event attracts a fee, a Council customer service officer will be in contact to discuss this prior to finalising your application. If fees are applicable, a permit or licence will only be issued after payment of the prescribed fee. Please refer to Council's Fees and Charges page for further information.

Sustainability Initiative

Important Update: Introduction of a new sustainability initiative by Ipswich City Council

Council has taken the lead in environmental protection by stopping the release of helium balloons from Council owned or controlled land and Council organised or sponsored events.

In addition, Council will discontinue the use of single-use straws and single-use water bottles on Council owned or controlled land or at Council organised or sponsored events. Note that single-use water bottles will be permitted if there is an onsite recycling bin or facility for these bottles.

These new initiatives started on 1 August 2018.

Council has introduced these initiatives in response to community concern around the impacts of plastic on our environment. Plastic contributes to massive amounts of landfill and has a negative impact on wildlife and the environment, particularly in our waterways and oceans. Plastic does not degrade in landfill for at least 450 years and 79% of all the plastic waste ever created is still in our environment.