View page translations

Refer to the Mobile Food section of Queensland Health's Design and fit-out guide for Food Businesses. The following information relates to those businesses that have not been previously licensed with Ipswich City Council.

  • The structure of the mobile unit must meet the requirements for the Food Act 2006 and the Food Standards Code. Examples of mobile units include water carriers, transport vehicles where no food is prepared but where food is handled e.g. pie van, seafood van and transport vehicles where food is prepared e.g. fruit and vegetable preparation, takeaway meals.
  • Please ensure that you contact Council’s Planning and Regulatory Services Department to ensure that you ascertain any requirements that must be met prior to commencing the food design application process.

Application process

Step 1

  • The mobile unit must meet the requirements for the Food Act 2006 and the Food Standards Code. Construction that does not meet the standards will not be approved. Plans will need to be drawn up and submitted with your application. Please ensure that you include plans e.g. floor plan, cross sectional views, reflected ceiling and lighting, equipment etc. and an overall layout.
  • Please complete the Application for Food Business Design - Assessment for New Business or Refurbishment to Existing Food Business and submit with A3 size design plans and payment of the application fee for Council to assess.
  • Bona Fide Charitable and Community organisation will also need to provide evidence of their non-profit status.
  • You may email your application in pdf format including application form, payment details and plans to  Alternatively you can post it to the address on the form or drop it into Council, Ground Floor, 1 Nicholas Street, Ipswich.
  • Council will assess your application within 30 business days and respond with an approval and appropriate conditions.
  • If you need a food safety program for your business visit our Food Safety Program webpage for further information.
  • Council also recommends you check with the following contacts as there may be additional requirements:
    • Council’s Planning and Regulatory Services Department: (07) 3810 6666 and;
    • Queensland Urban Utilities (QUU): 13 26 57 (only QUU can deal with waste water disposal requirements).

Step 2

  • Fit out your unit in accordance with the approval given by Council.
  • Please read both the approved plans and approval conditions carefully when you receive them and carry out your fit-out including any changes that may be required.

Step 3

  • About 10 days prior to completing the fit out of the unit, apply for a food business licence.
  • In order to issue a food licence one food safety supervisor with suitable qualifications must be nominated on the application. Information about food safety supervisor requirements can be found at Queensland Health. A copy of the certificate of attainment should accompany the completed food licence application and payment of the licence fee.
  • If the food business would like to access to free food safety training, it can be found at Council's Food Safety Training page. A certificate will be generated for the individual once completed.
  • Please complete the Application for a Fixed or Mobile Food Business Licence and return with payment and a copy of the food safety supervisor qualifications. Instructions for lodgement are included in Step 1 above. A final inspection will be conducted to ensure the unit has been constructed in accordance with the approval. The unit must pass this inspection for the food licence to be issued.  Additional inspections will incur further charges required to be paid prior. Council will assess your application within 30 business days.
  • Bona Fide Charitable and Community Organisations will also need to provide evidence of their non-profit status.
  • Refer to fees for a mobile food business licence (please tick relevant food premises on the application form).
  • If additional inspections are required then further inspection fees apply and must be paid by the stipulated date.

Other licences

Your food business may also require other licences depending upon your activities. For example if you wish to trade on the roadside then a roadside vending permit may be required for that.

More information

Translated page