The Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) is proposing the construction of a 1,700 km freight rail line between Melbourne and Brisbane.
There are two sections of the proposed rail line that run through the Ipswich local government area:
To find out how you can give your input visit the Inland Rail Project Community Consultation webpage.
Is the project approved for construction?
- Not yet - the ARTC requires government approval before the project can be constructed.
- The ARTC is required to first complete an environmental impact statement (EIS) for each section of the project, which the government will then consider before deciding if the project can proceed.
What stage of the process is the ARTC at?
For the most up-to-date information about the project and its different sections visit the ARTC website.
Draft EIS Consultation Announced
The Coordinator General has advised that public consultation on the draft EIS for the Calvert to Kagura section is open from Saturday 19 December 2020 to Monday 8 March 2021.
For details on information sessions being held in Ipswich click here.
To find out how to make a formal submission click here.
What is Council doing?
Helidon to Calvert section
- To read Council’s submission on the Helidon to Calvert draft terms of reference click here.
- The Office of the Coordinator General finalised the Terms of Reference in October 2017 - click here to view.
- Council will now wait until the draft environmental impact statement is released to make further comment.
Calvert to Kagaru section
- Council is now preparing a formal response to the draft EIS.
- To read Council's submission on the Calvert to Kagaru draft terms of reference click here.
- The Office of the Coordinator-General finalised the Terms of Reference in December 2017 – click here (PDF, 751.0 KB) to view.
How do I make a submission?
- The Office of the Coordinator General will announce when formal submission times open. For more information, particularly on how to provide a submission, visit the the Office of the Coordinator General or click here.
- For more information on ARTC’s Community Consultation Programs for the Helidon-to-Calvert and Calvert-to-Kagaru enivoronmental impact statements (EIS) visit the Inland Rail Project Community Consultation webpage.