Financial assistance for flood-affected Ipswich residents

01 March 2022

Ipswich residents affected by flooding can now access financial assistance.

Local Disaster Management Group Chairperson Ipswich Mayor Teresa Harding has urged residents impacted by flooding and storm damage to reach out for help.

“Personal Hardship Grants are now available through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA) for eligible flood-affected residents in Ipswich,” Mayor Harding said.

“Payments of up to a maximum of $900 for a family of five or more or $180 per person, to eligible people experiencing financial hardship as a result of the floods, can now be applied for.

“Council is working closely with all levels of government and we are happy our request for the activation of these payments was granted to ensure ongoing support and assistance is provided to our community in the aftermath of this disaster.”

Local Resilience and Recovery Group Chairperson Councillor Kate Kunzelmann said these payments are to assist with purchasing food and clothing.

“We are aware more help will be needed, but this payment will allow people to buy food and get a few changes of clothes,” Cr Kunzelmann said.

Local Resilience and Recovery Group Deputy Chairperson Councillor Russell Milligan said council is working to secure more financial help for residents.

“Disaster Recovery Payments (AGDRP) of $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child are also now available,” Cr Milligan said.

“You can claim this one-off, non-means tested payment by calling Services Australia’s Disaster Assistance phone line (180 22 66) or claim via myGov.

“Council is also offering free dumping for those with food wastage and flood-damaged items, on Tuesday at Rosewood and Riverview recycling and refuse stations.”

For more information on support available, visit

For information on Personal Hardship Assistance and Essential Services Hardship Assistance, contact the Community Recovery Hotline 1800 173 349 or visit

Other grants such the Essential Household Contents Grant, Structural Assistance Grant and Essential Services Safety and Reconnection Grant, which are income tested, are also available to eligible residents who are uninsured and have experienced certain loss or damage following this disaster.

Community Recovery online portal at