General Enquiries & Emergencies
(07) 3810 6666

TTY Phone
133 677 then ask for
07 3810 6666

Accessibility Options: A A Adjust contrast


Pest Control and Nuisance Animals

Pest animals affect the lives of all Queenslanders. They degrade our natural resources, damage precious remnant vegetation, compromise biodiversity and interfere with human health and recreation.

If you wish to report a pest or feral animal, contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 with necessary information including details of the nuisance and location. Council’s obligations, as well as those of the landowner regarding pest animals are outlined in the Bio-Security Act 2014 (State Legislation).

Pest animals

Feral animals refers to any domestic animal that has been allowed to go wild and has no owner (dogs, cats, pigs, horses, etc.), whereas pest animals refers to species such as foxes, dingoes and rabbits.

The State Government, through the Bio-Security Act 2014 (which superseded the Land Protection (Pest and Stock Route Management) Act 2002 and its associated Regulation of 2003), has declared the following animals as pests:

  • Wild dog: other than a domestic dog
  • European fox
  • Feral pig
  • European rabbit: domestic and wild breed
  • Wild dogs

Note that harbouring and breeding these animals may attract penalties including payment of large fines.

Ants, spiders, wasps, termites

To report an ant, spider, wasp or termite issue on Council land (such as parks), contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 with information including description and location. Termites will be treated if found to be in a park or reserve nearby to residential areas.
Council will not treat termites on a footpath - termites are only treated by Council if they are found to be within a tree on the footpath area.

Fire ants

Fire ants are one of the world's most invasive species. When disturbed, fire ants can become every aggressive and agitated - if bitten by fire ants, seek medical attention immediately.

The Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries is the leading agent for control, treatment and management of all fire ants in Queensland. Visit the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for more information or to report a fire ant by calling the Department on 13 25 23.


To report a nuisance caused by a swarm of bees on Council property, please contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 with necessary information including details of the nuisance and location. Council will not treat swarms on privately-owned land. If you have a swarm of bees that are a nuisance on your land, contact your local pest control service provider or the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry on 13 25 23 for a list of beekeepers who may charge a fee for eradication of bees.

Contact the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries regarding registration, overcrowding and/or disease enquiries relating to beehives on 13 25 23.

If goods (equipment, honey, wax etc.) are being sold on a commercial basis, you must contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 to ensure you have completed the necessary documentation and gained approval to conduct such a business from your property.


If flies are causing a nuisance on Council land or on private land due to a breach of Council regulations (waste mismanagement, food premises, etc.) please contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 with details of the nuisance, including address and location.


Council has identified mosquito management as an important priority for the health and wellbeing of residents. Mosquito control is regulated under the Public Health Act 2005 and Regulation. Most of the major mosquito breeding sites in Ipswich have been identified and are routinely checked and treated if breeding is present. Council uses environmentally friendly chemicals that specifically targets mosquitoes. Mosquito treatment is generally only effective on mosquito larvae.

Council does not manage mosquito breeding and nuisance on private property. If you experience a mosquito nuisance on your property, it is your responsibility to ensure breeding does not occur.

See the Mosquito Fact Sheet for more information.

Rodents, rats and vermin

Overgrown vegetation or rubbish on a property can attract vermin. If the rat/vermin/rodent problems are due to vermin on your neighbour's property please visit Nuisances and Complaints for more information or see the Rats and Mice Factsheet below.

Introduced mammals

All introduced mammal species are prohibited as pets unless listed as exceptions. A sample of these prohibited mammals include foxes, squirrels, ferrets, rabbits and dingoes.

To report rabbit activity in your area, please contact the Darling Downs - Moreton Rabbit Board on (07) 4661 4076 with a description and location. For further information on rabbits please visit the Darling Downs Moreton Rabbit Board and/or the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for information about declared pests.

More information