Responsible dog owners ensure their dogs are exercised well. Exercise can range from playing ball in the backyard, to walking and running in public. When in public, it's very important to keep your dog under control, including exercising your dog in a leash-free area.
When taking your dog for a walk anywhere in public, your dog must be on a leash:
- The leash should be in good condition, under two (2) metres in length and of a suitable strength
- The leash must be held securely by a responsible person
- When on the leash, you should be able to stop your dog from pulling the leash out of your hands and from rushing up to other people and other dogs
- Obedience training will assist you and your dog to achieve this level of control.
Leash-free area procedures
- You are legally responsible for the dog you are supervising and any damage or injuries caused
- Consider other park users, don’t allow your dog to wander unsupervised
- Leave the park if your dog becomes aggressive - your dog should never be left to cause fear, concern, or nuisance to other park users
- Never leave your dog in the park alone or allow them out of sight
- Dogs must wear a current Council registration tag
- Your dog should be registered, vaccinated, and microchipped
- Carry a lead at all times
- Dogs must be leashed prior to entry and exit of the off leash area
- Children must be supervised. Never allow children in the off leash area without adult supervision
- Dogs in season are prohibited from public places in Ipswich
- Report damage to Council on 07 3810 6666 so we can maintain the park for everyone.
Council currently operates the following leash-free areas for dogs:
- Banjo Patterson Park - Corner of Lawrie and Duncan Street, Collingwood Park
- Battye Park - 132B Pine Mountain Road, Brassall
- Camira Recreation Reserve - 74 Moss Road, Camira
- Conway Street Park - 10 Conway Street, Riverview
- Cribb Park - 34-39 Pelican Street, North Ipswich
- David W Coultas Park - 224 South Station Road, Raceview
- Goodna Off Leash Area - 62 Brisbane Terrace, Goodna
- Grande Park - 57 Grande Avenue, Springfield Lakes (Across the road from Grande Park)
- Jack Barkley Park - 33 Gledson Street, North Booval
- Noel Street Reserve - 1-3 Noel Street, Dinmore
- Rex Hawkes Park - Lot 600 Russell Drive, Redbank Plains
- Tom Lenihan Park - Lot 20 Bennett Street, Rosewood
- Wulkaraka Park - 98 Toongarra Road, Wulkuraka
- Fawkner Crescent Reserve - 31-49 Fawkner Crescent, Barellan Point
- Sarah Drive Park - Cnr Sarah Drive and Jacaranda Dr, Yamanto.
- Council is happy for you to take your dog out in public for exercise, however other City residents should not have to deal with your dog's droppings on their front lawns, footpaths and in other public areas.
- Council's Local Laws state that you must dispose of your dog's droppings and you must carry with you a scoop and/or some plastic bags to ensure droppings are collected.
- Specific devices for this purpose can be purchased from pet shops.
- Animal owners are required to clean up after their pets be they a dog or horse (or anything in between).
- It is a breach of the Local Laws to not clean up manure or faeces left by your animal in a public place with on-the-spot fines for this offence.