Birds include birds (e.g canaries, parrots and finches etc.), poultry (e.g chickens, geese and ducks etc.) and pigeons (domestic).

Can I keep birds?

  • The number of birds, poultry or pigeons you can keep is determined by the size of your property.
  • Minimum land area requirements:
    • 1 to 2 birds – no minimum land size
    • 1 to 2 poultry – 350m2
    • 3 to 12 birds/poultry/pigeons – 700m2
    • 13 to 25 birds/poultry/pigeons – 1,000m2
    • 25+ birds/poultry/pigeons – permit required

Permit types and requirements

Bird permit

  • Your property is 1,000m2 or more in a residential area.
  • Permit allows you to keep 25 or more birds
  • Excludes poultry, pigeons or more than 25 guinea fowl, eclectus parrots or birds from the cockatoo family

Poultry permit

  • Your property is 1,000m2 or more in a residential area.
  • Permit allows you to keep 25 or more poultry.

Pigeon permit

  • Your property is 1,000m2 or more in a residential area.
  • Permit allows you to keep 25 or more pigeons.
  • For homing or racing pigeons, registration with Queensland Racing Pigeon Federation does not replace a standard pigeon permit if required.

Permit applications

What are my responsibilities for keeping birds?

All bird owners are responsible for the animals on their property. They must ensure:

  • birds, poultry and roosters are not creating a noise nuisance to residents in the area. Roosters and large birds are especially prone to causing noise nuisances in residential areas, and their keeping should be avoided. If your birds, poultry or rooster causes a noise nuisance, you could receive a fine, or your birds, poultry or roosters may be removed.
  • all birds, poultry or pigeons must be kept in an enclosure suited to the number, size and breed of bird.
  • all enclosures must be at least one metre from a boundary fence and five metres from any road or public land.
  • enclosures must adhere to minimum distances from any residential building or premises, as follows:
    • 1 to 2 poultry or 3 to 12 birds – 10 metres
    • 2 to 12 poultry – 15 metres
    • 13 to 20 birds, poultry or pigeons – 20 metres
    • 21 to 25 birds, poultry or pigeons – 25 metres
  • enclosures must be thoroughly cleaned at least once a week.
  • enclosures must be treated with an insecticide at least twice a year.
  • enclosures must be constructed and maintained to prevent vermin.
  • all animals must be confined to the property at all times.
  • all feed must be stored in a vermin proof manner.
  • all animals must not cause a noise, odour or fly nuisance.
  • it is important not to forget your animals during an emergency or disaster event. For more information see Caring for Animals in an Emergency. For a handy and downloadable checklist, check out the Pet Emergency Plan.

How do I make a complaint about nuisance birds?

Roaming Birds

If there is a roaming bird/s and you know the owner, speak to the owner first to report the issue.


The Australian magpie (Cracticus tibicen) is a native Australian bird and is protected under the State Wildlife Legislation (Nature Conservation Act 1992).

For more information visit Department of Environment, Science and Innovation (DESI) or phone 13 74 68.

Wild pigeons

Council does not offer any services to remove or trap wild pigeons. If you experience issues with wild pigeons contact a pest contractor.

Contact Council

If you have a roaming bird issue or believe a property has excess livestock, you can make a request to Council to investigate by following the steps below:

1. Have the following information ready:

  • What is the issue (e.g roaming)?
  • Where is the bird/s currently?
  • Provide any distinguishing features of the animal/s (e.g type of bird, colour etc)
  • Number of birds involved
  • Do you know who the owner is (name and/or address)?
  • Your details (this complaint cannot be lodged anonymously)

2. Contact Council by one of the methods below:

Please note: Council keeps complete and comprehensive records in the event that legal action is taken.  All parties including the complainant and other witnesses may be asked to attend court to provide evidence.  Personal information is only given out when it is directed by law to do so.

Lost or impounded birds

Lost or found animals

If you have lost an animal, or you have found a lost or injured animal, quick action is the key to reuniting the animal with its owner. For more information visit Lost and Injured Animals.

Impounded or surrendered animals

If your animal is located, or you suspect your animal is impounded you should visit the Animal Management Centre in person. For more information visit Impounded Animals.

Release fees may apply for impounded animals. For details view Council’s Fees and Charges Schedule and search ‘impounding’ for current charges.

Bird owners may choose to surrender their animal to the Ipswich Pound and Animal Management Centre if they are unable to care for the animal, as long as the owner lives in the Ipswich City Council area. For more information phone (07) 3810 6666 or visit the Animal Management Centre.