Ipswich City Council continues to work with the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community identifying and supporting community led initiatives that have the potential to close the gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians creating an opportunity to share in the prosperity of the area.
Ipswich City Council is proud to support the LGAQ initiative in promoting the Constitutional Recognition of Australia's First People
As identified in the Ipswich City Council Community Plan i2031 Council will:
- Promote reconciliation understanding, recognition, protection and preservation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history and culture, native title and other issues relevant to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples.
- Acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as active contributors to local community identity and heritage.
- Develop and implement programs that showcase, celebrate and engage the broader community in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples culture.
- Work with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community to ensure they are actively engaged in programs and services.
- Review and update the Ipswich City Council Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples Accord.
- Continue to work with the traditional owners of the LGA area to progress the Indigenous Land Use Agreement.
- Ensure the significant cultural heritage values of Ipswich such as historical architecture, Aboriginal cultural features, and mining industries are protected and maintained in a manner which reflects their contributions to the City's identity and history.
Appropriate Indigenous Terminoloy (PDF, 1 mb)