Parks and Reserves

Park Search can provide you with information on Council's parks and facilities. Use of these parks and facilities may require a permit/licence. Use the park search to find the park that suits your needs.

Popular locations such as sporting fields and some open areas have been set aside within parks specifically to cater for special activities, events and for commercial use. Any use within these selected locations will now require a Permit/Licence.

Fitness groups/personal trainers wishing to apply for a permit/licence to use one of Council's parks for the purpose of conducting fitness/personal training will be required to pay a non-refundable application fee at the time of submitting the application (PLI required). Please refer to Council's Fees and Charges.

Please refer to Permit and Licence Information page for further details.

Council has developed the Sport and Recreation User's Manual (PDF, 1.9 MB) to assist users to manage, maintain and operate Council owned sport and recreation facilities. Sport and recreation clubs are encouraged to read and refer to this document to determine the roles and responsibilities of both Council and your organisation in regard to the use of Council facilities. If you have a specific question that cannot be answered from the information in the User's Manual please contact Council on (07) 3810 6666 or email the Sport and Recreation Team on

Booking Form

A booking form is required to be completed and approved by Council prior to using any Council facilities. Things to remember when making a booking include:

Council will always require a copy of your Public Liability Insurance (PLI). Depending on size and nature of event additional items may be requested such as traffic management plans, site maps etc

Please select how you would like to apply:

Phone (07) 3810 6666

Online Application Form

Application For Use Of Council Parks and Facilities (PDF, 161.2 KB) (PDF, 432.6 KB)

Completed application forms are to be sent to:

Ipswich City Council
PO Box 191
Ipswich QLD 4305

or via email to Ipswich City Council .

Permit and Licence Information for use of facilities is available at Permit and Licence Information.

Fees and Charges

Some events or locations may attract a permit/licence application fee or bond fee (eg. hall use, where a key is required etc).

The Ipswich City Council is committed to providing high quality and safe sporting facilities and clubhouses. In order to maintain the current facilities and provide improvements, it is necessary for fees and charges to be applied to users. Council's fees and charges are reviewed annually with updated fees coming into effect on 1 July each year. For further information please refer to the Fees and Charges.

Sport Facility Improvement Requests

The Sport Facility Improvement Request process is currently being reviewed. Please contact for further enquiries.

Season Fee

Seasonal users are required to pay a seasonal fee for the use of a Council facility. This fee applies to each season, Winter and Summer, and to each individual facility.

Field Lighting Fee

If users require the use of lights for training/competition, an additional fee will be charged.

This fee is calculated based on the following:

  • Number of ovals/fields in use
  • Number of nights
  • Season (winter users will be charged a higher rate than summer due to lights being required earlier)

Users who require lighting will be issued with an invoice for 25% of the field lighting fee at the time of their booking. This is required to be paid within seven days. The remaining balance of a user's field lighting fee as well as their seasonal booking fee will be invoiced 30 days after their booking is processed.

It is important that all lights are switched off at the completion of all training/competition/use.

Please note that all floodlights must be turned off by no later than 10pm. In the instance that Council is required to turn lights off, the costs for the call out will be charged to the offending user group.

Consistent failure to turn lights off will result in the users permit being revoked.

Key Bond

Keys to Council facilities will only be issued upon the receipt of key bond. This bond can be paid and keys collected from the Council Customer Service Centre located at 1 Nicholas Street, Ipswich. Keys are to be collected at the commencement of the booking and returned at the completion. As this payment is a bond and the money is refunded upon return of the keys, an invoice cannot be issued for this fee.

Failure to Pay Fees

In the instance that a user fails to pay their relevant charges before the due date stated on their invoice or they have outstanding payments from previous years, they will forfeit the right to use that facility. Other users will therefore be able to book this facility.

Application for Use of Sport and Recreation Facilities

Seasonal Permit Applications

A seasonal permit gives a user permission to use a facility for an agreed period of time. It does not give the seasonal permit holder control of the facility. Seasonal permit holders are granted exclusive use of a facility at set times for set periods of the year. At all other times the facility is available to be booked by other users.

Season Dates

So as to ensure equal access to facilities for all users, bookings are taken on a seasonal basis. That is, during the winter season priority use will be given to winter sports and vice versa. As per Council's Land Use Management Policy, Council strongly encourages more than one user group to share a facility. This maximises the sport and recreation options available to the Ipswich community.

Winter Season: The period from the last Saturday in March to the first Saturday in September.

Summer Season: The period from the third Saturday in September to the last Saturday in March.

If a conflict occurs in relation to the last Saturday in March then preference is to be given to the user playing the final with the other seasonal user playing their first game as an away from home game.

Seasonal Change Over

The seasonal changeover period allows Council to conduct any necessary reparation or maintenance work and goals to be removed or erected in readiness for the new season (please note that no goals will be erected until the previous season sport has finished using the facility). Due to Council's large maintenance program and limited time it is necessary to start works as soon as possible. During this time no match play or training is allowed on Council facilities for either the summer or winter season unless approved by Council. With this in mind, it is important that users provide Council with as much information as possible so that we can work together to achieve maximum usage of facilities.

Booking a Sporting Facility

Users are required to apply to Council for the use of a sporting facility BEFORE the commencement of their usage. To assist Council in the allocation of facilities, seasonal users are required to have their applications in not later than the following dates:

  • Winter Season | 15 February
  • Summer Season | 15 August

Please visit Parks Search to find out which forms and documentation is required to be submitted to gain a permit of use for a sporting facility.

Pre-Season Training

While all requests for pre-season training will be considered, please be aware that priority use will be given to current season users and in particular finals matches. Users need to also be mindful of maintenance schedules with most major renovation work being conducted during the seasonal change over.

Finals Matches and Training

In order to assist Council in creating a smooth seasonal change over, users are asked to provide an estimate of final training and competition dates to the Sport and Recreation Officer at least 14 days prior to your first finals match or training. This information can be submitted to Council by sending an email to This allows Council to begin any necessary maintenance works as soon as possible and also to allow other users to utilise the facility. If this information has not been received by the requested date, approval to start maintenance and approval to other users will be given which may cause an inconvenience.

Please note that finals matches will take preference over pre-season training and the following season fixtures.

Sub-Letting of Facilities

A user group that is allocated a facility by way of a seasonal permit is not permitted to sub-let any part of that facility including a ground and/or any part of the clubhouse. Non-compliance may result in Council revoking that user's permit. If a user is approached by a group in regards to using the facility they are to put them in touch with Council to manage the booking.

Multi-Use Policy

Users should be aware that Council has a multi-use policy to ensure that the city's sporting facilities have maximum usage. Users who are required to share their facilities with others are asked to be considerate by:

  • Only booking facilities when they are necessary so that other users can gain access
  • Ensure facilities are left clean and tidy after each use
  • Communicate with each other to ensure issues can be resolved quickly
  • Only store necessary equipment so as to allow other users access to storage space


Users wishing to use Council's facilities must hold a Public Liability Policy of no less than $10 million.

This policy must note Ipswich City Council as an interested party. Where Council has ownership of the facility, any use must be approved by Council to ensure that the club does not have legal liability exposure. Should a user approve another group's use of a facility, they may be liable for any accident or injury that occurs.

Users are responsible for obtaining contents insurance for any fixtures, fittings or assets not owned by the Council. These may include canteen stock, televisions, gym equipment, furniture and sports equipment. All items left on Council property will be left at the risk of the user.

Facility Usage

Appropriate Use

Clubhouses are to be used for their intended purpose which is to assist users in their operation and provide storage space. Users are not to conduct any activity that will cause offense or that is considered illegal or immoral. Please be mindful that the majority of facilities are situated in residential areas and noise should be kept to an acceptable level.

Clubhouses that include function rooms are only to be used for functions that have been booked and approved by Council. Clubhouses are not intended as party venues and should not be used for unauthorised birthday parties or other non-club events. In the event that a user allows the use of a clubhouse without approval from Council, that user will be liable for any damage that is caused and will have their permit revoked.


Floodlights are only to be used for the purposes of training and competition. Users are not to use floodlights for any other purpose e.g. social function. All floodlights should be turned off at the completion of training/competition which is to be no later than 10pm. In the event that Council is called out after hours to turn off floodlights, the costs for the call out will be charged to the offending users.


If a user requires access through a gate it is the responsibility of that user to lock the gate at the completion of the activity. In the instance that a gate is left open, the offending user will be liable for any damage to the playing field and/or surrounding area. Furthermore, in the event that

Council is called out after hours to close and lock a gate, the costs for the call out will be charged to the offending user.


Users must ensure that no vehicles are driven on the playing surface or any areas of the facility that are not designated for vehicle access. The only exception to this is emergency vehicles i.e. ambulance/fire/police.

Goal Posts

Council provides, maintains and will repair or replace damaged goal posts. However, in the event that goal posts are damaged due to misuse, the offending user will be responsible for the replacement or repair of the goal posts. Goal posts will not be erected until the previous seasons sporting fixtures are completed.


Users are not to graffiti the surface of any structure, concreted or paved area or vegetation within a park with paint or ink. The user will be held responsible for any vandalism/damage that occurs during their allocated use of the facility. This includes damage caused by the user's members as well as visiting teams and supporters. Where the damage occurs outside the users allocation, and provided the damage has not been caused as a result of the users negligence (e.g. clubhouse left unlocked), the responsibility will lie with Council.

If your facility has suffered graffiti or any kind of vandalism/damage, whether during or outside your club's allocation, and you wish to report graffiti or vandalism to Council assets, please click here to submit the request online via MyIpswich or contact Council on (07) 3810 6666.

If the facility has been damaged in a criminal act the police should be notified immediately and Council informed of the situation.

Advertising Devices or Advertisements (Signage)

Permanent Signage

A development application under the Ipswich Planning Scheme is generally required for permanent signs or advertisements unless the signage is defined as a temporary advertising device (i.e. where not in place for more than 14 days in any 90 day period) or is exempt under Schedule 9 –

Exempt Advertising Devices.

Permanent signage can include:

  • Animated or flashing sign
  • Awning sign
  • Banner sign and bunting
  • Billboard
  • Boundary fence sign
  • Canopy sign
  • Commercial flag sign
  • Created fascia/awning sign
  • Ground sign
  • Inflatable sign
  • Pole sign
  • Projected image sign
  • Projecting sign
  • Roof sign
  • Sky sign
  • Sign on blinds
  • Third party sign
  • Under awning sign
  • Vertical banner sign
  • Window sign
  • Wall sign

If you require information on the application process please contact Council's Planning and Development Department on (07) 3810 6666.

Temporary Signage

Temporary advertisements and signage need to be in accordance with Council's Local Laws. Local Law 3, Subordinate Local Law, Schedule 2 relates specifically to advertisements and signage.

Temporary Signage can include:

  • A Frame signs
  • Community Event (Fete) Signs
  • Horizontal Banner Event Signs
  • Vertical Banner Event Signs
  • Inflatable Event Signs
  • Mobile Signs

Temporary signs must be located on the site/premises to which the advertisement relates.

Clubhouse Storage

Users are able to use storage areas of Council facilities where such areas exist. Seasonal permit holders that share a facility are encouraged to work together to allocate storage space at the commencement of the season. Where such users are unable to successfully negotiate storage space allocation, Council will make a decision which will be final. In making this decision, Council will take into consideration the proportion of each group's use of the facility as well as the size and quantity of equipment needed for those particular sports. Storage of equipment in the off season is not guaranteed due to other users requiring the storage space.

All equipment must be stored in a designated storage space. Items must not be stored in other areas that are not designated for storage such as first aid rooms, toilets/shower facilities or referees rooms. It is also important that all emergency exits are kept clear at all times. Clubhouses may be utilised by other users therefore all equipment should be securely stored in the designated storage areas. Council is not responsible for any damage/loss of equipment.

Users that believe they require their storage allocation reviewed should incorporate this information into their club development plan. This will assist Council to plan for required upgrades to facilities.


Users are able to utilise canteen facilities where such areas exist. Users that share a clubhouse are required to work together in regards to the appropriate sharing of canteen facilities including the safe storage of their stock and equipment. Users need to be aware that canteen facilities are owned by Council and therefore can be booked and used by other users. It is important that all stock is securely stored when not in use. Council is not responsible for any loss of stock that occurs.

The canteen facilities provided in Council's clubhouses may not be designed as commercial kitchens. In the instance that they are not classed as commercial kitchens there are several appliances that are not permitted to be installed including but not limited to deep fryers, range hoods and cold rooms.

Users should be aware and follow the legal obligations of selling food through a canteen.

Electrical Equipment

Users are responsible for the test and tag of appliances in their clubhouses in accordance with the Electrical Safety Act 2002. Please refer to this act for further information and timeframes.

Council is not responsible for damage that occurs from appliances that have not been tested and tagged in accordance to the abovementioned act. Further to this, all portable electrical equipment must be connected to a portable safety switch.


Keys and Security

Council sporting facilities are on a master key system which allows Council to retain access to the facilities for planned maintenance, inspections and emergencies. Keys are issued to users following the payment of a key bond (refer to section Fees and Charges - Key Bond).

If a key to a facility is lost, damaged or broken, or locks need to be changed Council should be notified immediately. Users are not permitted to change locks, add additional locks or make copies of Council issued keys. If users change locks without permission, they will be required to pay all costs associated with changing them back to the Council master key system.

All keys must be returned to Council at the completion of a booking. Keys are not to be held until the next season as the keys are required by other users of the facility.

Keys are not to be given or loaned to any other club, association, organisation, school or person.

In the instance that this occurs, the user who has been issued the key by Council will be held responsible for any damage to property, loss of key/locks etc.

Council requires that users keep a key register of who in the organisation holds keys. The register must include the names of key holders, their respective titles, phone numbers and an email address. A copy of this signed register must be sent to The club should also retain a copy for their records. Council should be notified of any changes to the key register throughout the season.

Liquor Licence

Clubs shall not permit the sale or consumption of liquor within Council facilities without Council permission and the relevant liquor licences required by statutory law (Liquor Act 1992).

How to Apply

Regardless of whether you are selling or supplying alcohol during your usage of a Council facility, you must contact the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation to determine any licence requirements.

They can be contacted via the following:

Office of Liquor and Gambling Regulation Phone: 13 74 68

Confirmation of the licence or other requirements from Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation needs to be submitted with your booking application.

In the event that a liquor licence is to be approved by Council before being submitting to the Office of Liquor, please direct these applications to:

Chief Operating Officer Works Parks and Recreation Ipswich City Council
PO Box 191

The information required to be submitted to Council is:

  • Proposed location including specific site area/s where the alcohol will be served/sold/consumed
  • Proposed licence or permit type (i.e. one off event or ongoing)
  • Proposed hours for when alcohol will be served/sold/consumed including dates of event
  • The applicant's details, including proposed licensee and contact details

Please note that approval will not be given by Council unless the user has been issued a permit for the use of the Facility/grounds.

Smoking in Council Buildings

Smoking is prohibited in and within 4 metres of an entrance to all enclosed buildings in accordance with the Queensland Tobacco and Other Smoking Products Act (1998). This includes clubhouses and other buildings provided at Council's sporting facilities. The user must ensure players, officials and spectators are aware of and comply with this legislation.

Maintenance Issues and Service Request

As there is often more than one user group using the one facility it is important that clubhouses, toilets and grounds are left in a clean and tidy condition immediately after each use. If a user finds a facility in an untidy state it is important that this is reported to Council. Council will undertake random inspections and may provide users with direction to clean the facility. If such cleaning is not carried out, Council will perform the cleaning at the cost of the offending user.


Basic/general cleaning of clubhouses is the responsibility of the user. For a full list of maintenance responsibilities please refer to Appendix 4.


Toilets that are able to be accessed by the general public at any time are the responsibility of Council to maintain. This includes public toilets attached to clubhouses as well as free standing public toilets.

Toilets that are opened and closed by the user are the responsibility of the user. This includes the cleaning and supply of all materials i.e. toilet paper, soap, paper towel etc.

Clubhouse Alterations

Users are NOT permitted to make any alterations or installations to any clubhouse that is under the control of Council without obtaining written consent from Council before commencement of works.

Trees, Shrubs and Gardens

Council is committed to ensuring that all public gardens and open spaces are maintained appropriately. Therefore the gardens and surrounding areas of Council's sporting fields are maintained on a three weekly rotation.

Should a user feel that there is urgent maintenance required to the surrounds of their allocated facility please submit a request to Council's Customer Service Centre by phoning (07) 3810 6666 or email:

Waste and Litter

Users are responsible for the disposal of all rubbish generated by their use of a facility, including that generated by spectators. This rubbish must be placed in an appropriate bin at the completion of the day's activities i.e. matches or training. Users must ensure that all bins are secured or stored away where possible to reduce the incidence of bin theft or damage.

General waste bins, recycling bins and skip bins can all be obtained at an additional cost by contacting Ipswich Waste on (07) 3810 6666 or

Playing Surfaces

Ipswich City Council has a Desired Standard of Service (DSS) that allows for all facilities to be maintained on a set schedule and to a set standard. The following is an outline of maintenance that is conducted both during and between seasons:

Regular Maintenance

(During Season)

  • Mowing of fields
  • Mowing and maintenance of surrounding area of facility
  • Irrigation
  • Weed control (as necessary)

Seasonal Maintenance

(Only performed when necessary)

  • Fertilisation
  • Top dressing
  • Goal mouth rehabilitation
  • Re-profiling
  • Over sowing
  • Weed control


Council is responsible for the mowing of playing surfaces and the surrounding grounds. The mowing of the city's active sporting fields is done on a weekly basis. The grass is maintained at the height of 40mm with the exception of fields in which cricket is played which is maintained at 30mm. Please note that grass clippings are not picked up. Maintenance of the surrounding areas of a facility, including mowing and garden maintenance are done on a three weekly rotation. If a user is found to have cut the grass without Council's permission, the user will be responsible for the cost of repairing any damage that occurs.

Turf Wickets

The maintenance of turf wickets is the user's responsibility.


The installation, maintenance and operation of irrigation systems are the responsibility of Council unless otherwise agreed to with Council.

Line Marking

Line marking is the responsibility of the user unless otherwise stated in their individual permit conditions. Only water based paint, whiting, carbon black or acrylic paint are to be used. Products that kill or damage grass such as herbicides, growth retardants, lime, diesel or oil, are not permitted.

If a user is found to have used one of the above mentioned products, the costs associated with the repair of the turf will be charged back to the user.
Users who are not regular users of a facility (i.e. schools, one off events) need to indicate on their booking form if they wish to undertake line marking. This is so Council can assess whether or not this line marking will interfere with the existing regular users line marking.


To ensure that training does not cause unnecessary damage to playing surfaces, Council asks that clubs ensure that training is scheduled so as to spread the wear on the grounds. Training should be kept to a minimum around high traffic areas such as goal mouths and directly in from of a clubhouse. Where possible, training may be able to be conducted off the playing fields all together.

Closure of Fields

Council reserves the right to close any facility or part of a facility for reasons such as:

  • Poor weather conditions
  • To protect the playing surface
  • Community safety
  • To complete capital works/undertake maintenance

In the case of the sudden closure of field/fields, Council will communicate field closures via its website, email and social media. This information will be made available by 2pm weekdays or 2pm Friday for weekend usage. It is important that users contact details are up to date and emails checked before using the facility so all communications are received. In the event that a facility is closed, Council will endeavour to arrange an alternate venue for the affected user/s if practical.

Further to this, users are required to inspect fields prior to each use to ensure suitability of use. If it is deemed that there would be safety issues for players or that there would be greater than normal damage to the playing surface it is in the user's best interest to cancel/postpone the scheduled use.

Please note that usage of an extremely wet field may result in damage that could take months to repair. In the event that a user is found to have used a field when it was closed the following will apply:

  • If the use results in damage to the playing surface, the costs associated with the repair of the surface will be the offending user's responsibility; and
  • The offending user's future use of Council managed fields will be put in jeopardy

Capital Works/Improvements

Ipswich City Council has funding available each year for upgrading sports grounds and facilities. In order to ensure that Council funds are invested into projects that will have the most benefit for the community, it is recommended that users work with the Sport Ipswich team to formulate a club development plan. This plan should include data on the growth and expected growth of your organisation and the suggested improvements/upgrades to facilities that would help to accommodate this growth. Providing this information to Ipswich City Council will ensure that you position your club/organisation with the best possible chance of receiving the improvements that your club requires.

As Council is the owner of the property, all maintenance or capital improvements undertaken to the building require written consent from the Council BEFORE commencement. This is relevant to both internal and external works. Please note that if a user group conducts any capital works or improvements without Council's permission, that user group will be responsible for the costs of reinstating the works or additional works that need to be conducted to ensure it meets the compliance with relevant legislation. This behaviour will also put the use of Council facilities in jeopardy.

Application to Undertake Works

For users wishing to discuss any facility upgrade or improvement, the following is a guide to follow to ensure you comply with the relevant laws and legislation.

1. Identify Potential Upgrades

Upgrades or improvements to facilities should come from an identified need. Users should take proactive measures to anticipate when facility upgrades will be necessary and plan ahead. It is proposed that these projects are discussed during the off-season and tabled at the club's annual general meeting (AGM).

2. Initial Contact with Council

Contact Council's Sport and Recreation Officer for initial advice on your proposed project. Information that will make it easier to assist your club would be drawings, proposed site location, and any timeframes that you have for the project. Council will be able to assist with aerial photos of the site, existing building plans and service locations. In some cases, Council will be able to provide set requirements for standard infrastructure items.

3. Contact with relevant Council Areas

The user group will need to discuss the project with other relevant Council Departments. These may include Infrastructure, Planning and Partnerships, Planning and Development and Health, Security and Regulatory Services. The Sport and Recreation Officer will be able to assist and get the user in contact with the relevant people.

4. Site Meeting

For larger or more complex projects a site meeting with relevant Council Officers may be required to provide further detail and input into the project.

5. Submission of relevant plans

Formal submission of relevant plans should be made to Council's Planning and Development Department. More information on this process can be found at

6. Approval Process

Council, as the owner of the land, will consider and approve or reject each project submission.

This process may also include gaining statutory approvals, as some projects may require Building or Planning permits to be issued before they can commence. Written approval must be gained from Council prior to any project commencing.

7. Final Site Inspection

Council Officers may need to perform a final site inspection once works are completed. This is also to ensure that works have been carried out to a sufficient standard and the site has been properly reinstated (i.e. no materials or waste left behind).

Note: this is a basic guide to assist clubs and organisations in the thorough planning and implementation of facility improvement projects. As the owner / manager of the land,

Council is responsible for ensuring the integrity and appropriateness of all infrastructure works.

Council's buildings are regularly audited and inspected and it is important that Council has current records on all improvements that are undertaken, so these can be noted on relevant site and building plans.

Update your Contacts

Following a club's AGM, it is important that the club update their committee members and contact details with Council. Please send through updated contacts or return the completed Club Contact Details form to Council via

Please note that in this form it is asked that you provide a preferred contact. The responsibilities of this preferred contact are:

  • To be your club's representative when liaising with Council
  • To pass on relevant information from Council back to committee members
  • To inform Council of any relevant changes to your club or committee members
  • To complete annual Council reporting requirements