As the local government authority for the Ipswich area, Council has an obligation to ensure our city is a safe, healthy and equitable community. One of the ways Council meets this obligation is through the provision of various regulations and local laws which are designed to protect and enhance the community's general way of life and well-being. As a dedicated community proud of our city, we can all strive to look after our local area and adhere to these regulations. Failure to comply with these laws may result in fines/infringement notices being issued to residents, businesses and visitors to the city for breaches of these local laws and regulations.

Received an infringement notice from Council?

If you have received a penalty infringement notice (PIN) from Ipswich City Council, you have 28 days from the issue date to select one of the options available to you on the back of the infringement.

How do I pay the fine?

Penalty Infringement Notice payments can be made online through our Infringement Notice Payments webpage.

Payments can also be made via the following methods:

  • Phone (handwritten infringement notices not accepted)
  • Mail
  • In person

For more information about payment options visit our Infringement Notice Payments webpage.

Can I pay my fine in instalments?

Fines of $200 and over may be paid off in instalments. Please select the appropriate option on the reverse of the fine and complete your details in the space provided. You must then return the fine along with the first instalment of $60 to Council.

What if I believe the fine has been issued incorrectly?

  • If you believe you have incorrectly received a fine you have the option to have the matter reviewed by Council. To ask Council to review the fine, you must submit a written request to Council within 28 days of the issue date of the infringement notice.
  • Your submission must include the following details:
    • Infringement notice number
    • Vehicle registration number (parking fines)
    • Date of the incident
    • Full name, address and contact numbers
    • Other evidence to support your request may also be provided (e.g. medical certificate, photos, receipts)
  • Alternatively, you may also complete and submit an infringement review request form (see More Information below).
  • A statutory declaration will be required if a company wishes for a vehicle-related infringement to be reissued to an individual. The same requirement applies if the individual owner of a vehicle wishes for the infringement to be reissued to another individual (see statutory declaration form under More Information below).
  • All statutory declarations must be signed by a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for Declarations. The Ipswich Court House has a Justice of the Peace on duty from 9.00 am - 4.00 pm weekdays. Contact the Department of Justice on 1300 301 147 or click here to search for Justices of the Peace available in your local area.
  • Please note that making a false declaration is a very serious offence. The signatory may be charged under the Criminal Code and be liable for penalties, including imprisonment.
  • Once Council has received a request for review the infringement is placed on hold.
  • Council will ensure consistent and fair decisions by assessing your request in line with adopted procedures. You will be sent a response to your request either upholding or withdrawing the fine within 30 days.

How do I opt for a court hearing?

Should you wish for the matter to be dealt with by the Magistrates Court please complete the reverse side of the fine by selecting the appropriate option and completing your details in the space provided. You must then return the penalty infringement notice to Council.

What happens if I do nothing?

  • As a courtesy, Council will send you a reminder letter if you have not taken any action within 28 days of the issue date of the fine.
  • Please note that for parking fines Council must carry out a search to obtain the name and address of the registered owner of the vehicle. An additional fee applies for this search and will be added to the infringement.
  • If the payment is not received by Council by the due date the fine is submitted to the State Penalties Enforcement Register (SPER). Once the fine has been sent to SPER they will pursue the fine amount plus additional processing costs from you. Failure to pay the amount to SPER may result in cancellation of your Queensland driving licence.

Parking infringements

  • Council regulates parking within Ipswich through local laws and state legislation to improve safety and convenience for our community and visitors to our city.
  • The Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Road Rules) Regulation 2009 and Local Law No. 5 (Parking) 2013 govern our city and include specific restrictions for the parking of vehicles, such as signposted 'no stopping zones' and time-restricted parking. It is also prohibited to park a vehicle on a path, dividing strip or nature strip.
  • Failure to comply with these parking regulations may result in penalties through the issue of notices and fines by Council.
  • A parking fine may be withdrawn for the following reasons:
    • Medical emergency: if an emergency situation contributed to the offence a medical certificate or statutory declaration outlining the circumstances is required to support a request to withdraw a fine on this basis.
    • Motor vehicle breakdown: a vehicle break down occurred and reasonable actions were taken to minimise the risk to public safety and move the vehicle in a timely manner. Evidence such as a towing invoice, written statement from RACQ or completed statutory declaration outlining the circumstances is required to support a request to withdraw a fine on this basis.
    • Disabled parking permit: the offence involved exceeding timed parking limits and the driver or passenger was the holder of a current disabled parking permit. A copy of the permit is required to support a request to withdraw a fine on this basis.
    • Charity workers: the driver of the vehicle was undertaking volunteer work for a charity at the time of the offence and the offence did not involve traffic/pedestrian obstruction or threaten public safety. A letter from the charity confirming that the driver was volunteering at the time of the offence is required to support a request to withdraw a fine on this basis.
    • Error or fault with parking meter or signage: a request for review or signed and witnessed statutory declaration describing the error or fault is required to withdraw a fine on this basis.
    • Illegal use of vehicle: at the time of the offence the vehicle was being used illegally, being used by another person (nominated by you) or was sold or otherwise disposed of. A statutory declaration signed by a Justice of the Peace/Commissioner for Declarations describing the circumstances and providing all of the details of the driver/new owner, or relevant documentation (e.g. for stolen vehicles a crime report/incident report number from the Queensland Police) is required to support a request to withdraw a fine on this basis.

Further Information