A driveway is a vehicular access point for a property adjacent to a road or street crossing over a verge, nature strip and/or footpath. In most cases, the driveway is formed from the kerb and channel or edge of the carriageway to the property boundary. It is important to note that driveways are the property owner's responsibility and any associated driveway construction costs, construction activities and maintenance are not Council's responsibility.

Is DTMR approval required?

  • If your property is located on a state-controlled road, a 'Road Corridor Permit' issued by Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) will need to be obtained.
  • The application form is available from all DTMR offices, or can be download from their website.

Do I need a Council permit?

When constructing the initial driveway you do not need approval to build a standard driveway provided it complies with the driveway standard drawing and all conditions (see factsheet and relevant standard drawings under More Information below).

You need Council approval if your application:

  • refers to an additional driveway
  • is a non-standard driveway (see factsheet and relevant standard drawings under More Information below)
  • or if the planned driveway is on a major road (see Attachment B of the Driveway Permit Application Kit under More Information below).

Submitting applications

Completed application forms can be submitted via email to council@ipswich.qld.gov.au or via post:

Ipswich City Council
PO Box 191
Ipswich  QLD  4305

Please note fees for a non-standard driveway are payable when submitting your application. If additional inspections are required then further inspection fees apply and must be paid by the stipulated date.

Frequently asked questions

Refer to the information below relating to driveway design, construction and related permits:

Q: What materials are required for a residential driveway?
A: Some of the key rules indicate the driveway must be:

  • Solid, non-slip material such as concrete, asphalt or pavers - materials such as tiles, gravel and blue stones are not permitted
  • The same level as the footpath
  • Within permitted gradients
  • Clear of stormwater pits
  • Clear of street trees
  • Constructed in accordance with Councils standard drawings.

Q: Can I remove the footpath to construct my driveway?
A: The existing concrete footpath must be removed before installing the new driveway.  It is recommended that this be done at the footpath expansion joints (where possible).

Q: What is the maximum/minimum width my driveway can be?
A: The minimum width for all driveways is 2.5 metres. The maximum width for driveways on standard lots with a single garage is 4 metres and with a double garage 6 metres.  All other driveways would be subject to Permit requirements.

Q: Can I place materials on the footway to construct my driveway?
A: Materials can be placed on the footway during construction, however, pedestrian safety must be maintained at all times. This includes signage to warn of footway closures or arrangements for pedestrians to still access the footway over the job site.

Q: Can my neighbour and I share driveway access (not an easement)?
A: This is not a recommended option, although it is up to the property owners' to come to an amicable agreement. Consideration should be given to construction and ongoing maintenance costs and the likelihood of ownership changes. Any disputes arising from the shared driveway will remain a civil matter. The maximum driveway width would still be applicable in these cases.

Q: Who is a licenced professional?
A: You should only engage or use a person or business that is fully licensed with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission. Licenced professionals may include:

  • building designers
  • builders
  • architects
  • building certifiers
  • civil engineers
  • contractors (e.g. concreters, bricklayers, etc)
  • landscapers.

Q: Do I need a Council permit for building a driveway on a private road or Department of Main Roads controlled roads?
A: If the driveway leads onto a Main Roads controlled road, a separate approval from Department of Transport and Main Roads is required prior to obtaining a permit from Council.

Q: My development approval already has driveway conditions, do I still need a driveway permit?
A: No, a driveway permit would only be required for a non-standard or second driveway on the one standard lot.

More information

Driveway Fact Sheet (PDF, 60.0 KB)
Driveway Crossover Permit Application Kit
Standard Residential Driveway Invert and Slab - SR12 (PDF, 207 kb)
Standard Invert Crossing for Areas Without Kerb And Channel - SR15 (PDF, 804 kb)
Standard Rural Road Driveway Pipe Crossing - SR16 (PDF, 1 mb)
Department of Transport and Main Roads