This section provides information on the issuing of commercial licences for pet shops.

What does Council licence?

A licence is required for all pet shops. If you are a business that solely operates as an Aquarium, you do not require a licence.
If you have a concern or issue regarding a Pet Shop in Ipswich, please phone Council on (07) 3810 6666. If your complaint is in relation to the welfare of animals, please contact RSPCA or phone 1300 264 625.

Prior to applying for a licence with Ipswich City Council, you must ensure you have the appropriate approvals in place for your business. For information on any approvals you might need, including development, planning and design approvals, and to apply for the licence, follow the stages below.

Stage One: Approvals needed prior to licencing

Before applying for a licence, you must ensure you obtain all relevant approvals. A licence does not constitute approval for any other aspects of your operation. Prior to starting any business you must check with Council's Planning and Regulatory Services to ensure that the land/property where the business is based is suitable for your intended use.

If your business involves new or altered structures, you may also require building and/or plumbing approval.

Visit Ipswich Planning, contact them by email or phone (07) 3810 6888.

Development Approval

Council’s Planning Scheme guides how land can be used and developed, including the suitability of a location for a business or different business types.

Pet Shop businesses may need planning approval for these activities:

  • starting a business
  • changing the type of activity/business being offered at the property
  • re-establishing a business that was abandoned
  • carrying out building work
  • carrying out plumbing or drainage work

To find out if you need to submit a development application for a pet shop business, you can:

Building Approval

Building approval may be required for work that could include:

  • fitting out a new building
  • constructing a new building
  • installing new facilities
  • refurbishing of an existing building

All building work is assessed against the building assessment provisions (including, but not limited to, the National Construction Code and the Queensland Development Code) which set the minimum requirements for building structure, fire safety, access and egress, health and amenity, and energy efficiency.

To find out if you need building approval, you can:

Plumbing Approval

Pet Shop businesses may need plumbing and drainage approval for the following activity:

  • installation of any plumbing work (e.g. washing facilities)

Plumbing and drainage work should be conducted by a licensed plumber. Contact Council or Queensland Urban Utilities for more information.

Stage Two: Assessment and Building Fit-out

Once you have satisfied any development, building and plumbing approvals, you must seek design approval and commence building fit-out.

Step 1 – Design assessment

  • Plans will need to be drawn up and submitted with your assessment.
  • Complete the plan assessment/design requirements section of the Commercial Animal Licence Application Kit.
  • Ensure you include with your assessment application:
    • a copy of the floor plan, drawn to scale not less than 1:50, showing details of the layout of washing facilities, food storage areas, animal housing facilities and waste disposal information
    • a copy of the layout plan showing details on the types and amount of cages, feed storage areas, and entrances and exits to the premises
    • details on the type of housing/enclosures to be used or installed at the premises including the type, breed and number of animals they are to contain
  • A design application fee applies. For details view Council’s Fees and Charges Schedule and search ‘Pet Shop Licence’.
  • Submit your application:
    • Email: (pdf format of form and plan/s only)
    • Post: See form for details
    • In person: Ground Floor, 1 Nicholas Street, Ipswich

Step 2 – Building fit-out

  • Fit out your premises in accordance with the approval given by Council.
  • Please read both the approved plans and approval conditions carefully when you receive them and carry out your fit-out including any changes that may be required.
  • A final inspection will be conducted to ensure the premises has been constructed in accordance with the approval. The premises must pass this inspection for the licence to be issued. If additional inspections are required then further inspection fees apply. For details view Council’s Fees and Charges Schedule and search ‘Pet Shop Licencing’.
  • About 10 days prior to completing the fit-out of the premises, start your application for a Pet Shop Licence.

Stage Three: Applying for a Licence

  • Complete the Commercial Animal Licence Application Kit.
  • Ensure you include with your licence application:
    • If you are not the owner of the property, you must include the property owner details as well as written approval from them for operation of the business from the property.
    • The number and type of animals proposed to be kept and sold at the premises
    • An application and licence fee applies. For details view Council’s Fees and Charges Schedule and search ‘Pet Shop Licence’.
  • Submit your application:
    • Email: (pdf format of form and qualifications only)
    • Post: PO Box 191, Ipswich Qld 4305
    • In person: Ground Floor, 1 Nicholas Street, Ipswich

How is my design approval and licence application managed?

Council will assess and respond to your assessment and application within 30 business days from the date of submission. If you require development approval, this assessment will not commence until you have notified council of the development approval.

Once your application has been assessed and if approved, you will be issued a licence. It will be emailed or mailed to you and you must display the licence, or a copy of the licence, at each related business so that it is easily visible to a person as they enter the premises.

Licence renewal, amendment, replacement or transfer

Licence renewal

Licence must be renewed each financial year. Council will send out a renewal notice approximately 4 weeks prior to renewal each year. A new licence will be mailed to you and you will need to ensure this is displayed.

Amendment to current licence

If you wish to update your personal or contact details on your business licence, please complete the amendment to licence section of the Commercial Animal Licence Application Kit.

Replacement licence

If you require a copy of your licence, please contact the Customer Service Centre on (07) 3810 6666.

Transfer of Licence

If you wish to transfer the licence to a third party (e.g sale of business), please complete the transfer of licence section of the Commercial Animal Licence Application Kit.