Operating a business, hobby or occupation from your residential premises is defined as a 'home based activity' or 'home occupation' in Springfield under the Ipswich Planning Scheme and 'home based business' under the Ripley Valley Urban Development Area Development Scheme (RVUDADS).

For more information on requirements and the 'self-assessable activity' checklist view the fact sheet.

Operating a Home-based Business, Hobby or Occupation Fact Sheet

Home based food business

There are two licensing options when making food for sale from home, using your own (domestic) existing kitchen or when your domestic kitchen cannot be used.

Using your own domestic kitchen

Potentially hazardous foods are foods that require certain time and temperature control to stop bacteria from growing and prevent food poisoning. Examples of potentially hazardous foods include:

  • Eggs
  • Cooked rice and pasta
  • Raw and cooked meat
  • Fresh cream products
  • Cheesecakes, etc.

Potentially hazardous foods are defined under Chapter 3 of the Food Standards Code as food that has to be kept at certain temperatures to minimise the growth of any pathogenic microorganisms that may be present in the food or to prevent the formation of toxins in the food.

Examples of non-potentially hazardous foods and activities that can be handled in a home kitchen include:

  • Manufacturing plain biscuits
  • Manufacturing cakes, cupcakes and cake-pops without cream or ganache
  • Decorating cakes without cream or ganache
  • Manufacturing jam or marmalade
  • Manufacturing chutney
  • Manufacturing sauce
  • Decanting honey into containers
  • Roasting, salting or flavouring nuts
  • Grinding spices and/or repackaging spices
  • Roasting and packaging coffee beans
  • Manufacturing and packaging fairy floss and/or popcorn
  • Manufacturing fudges, chocolates and other confectionery
  • Freezing ice into blocks to make snow cones at a stall.

Domestic kitchens will only be approved if the business produces non potentially hazardous foods.

Using a separate kitchen

If you wish to produce bakery products that are potentially hazardous (finished products need refrigeration or hot holding for safety reasons) then a separate kitchen would need to be fitted out in order for the food licence to be obtained. Examples of other locations where a normal food business licence activity could be set up include:

  • Spare room in a house
  • Garage
  • Shed or demountable on the residential property
  • Commercial property.

The process of applying for a home based food business licence application is the same as any other fixed food premises application – please refer to the new business and renovations page for further information.

Food labelling

Any packaged food that is manufactured from home must meet certain labelling requirements. Food labelling is administered by Queensland Health - contact them on 13 Health (13 43 25 84) for further information.